[tahoe-dev] about GSOC

yu xue xueyu7452 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 02:56:13 PDT 2010

Hello dear mentors and developers
I am a student who is interested in tahoe-lafs GSOC projects. Please let me
breifly introduce myself. My name is Yu Xue. I have background on CS and
information security. The program languages that I am familiar with are C,
C++, Python and C#. I have extensive interests in CS and information
security, especially on cryptography, distributed computing and storage,
program languages etc.

The concrete projects that I am particularly interested in are "DVCS
integration" and "Distributed Introduction". Since according to the GSOC
rule, there must be only one project to be formally selected, the wish that
I personally have is that to put "DVCS integration" as my first
consideration. If this proposal is unfortunately not passed, please consider
my second "Distributed Introduction" proposal, thank you!

For "DVCS integration", there need to interate popular DVCS such as git,
darcs, bzr, and mercurial into tahoe-lafs, make theire storage on tahoe-lafs
instead of local filesyste, thus letting these DVCS use the unique features
of tahoe-lafs. My rough plan  is to first mercurial, then git and darcs. Of
course, it need to be adjusted according to the practical useage.

For "Districtubted Introduction", there need to make current SPoF
"introducer" decentralized using distributed way. The implementation is
based on the exsiting distributed notification algorithm (ticket #68) and
the general procedure has been described.

With the hope that getting suggestions or instructions or help from mentors
and developers about better understanding project and write good
applications, thanks!

Maybe my English is a little poor.... Thank you!

Regards
  Yu Xue