[tahoe-dev] friendly hello

Callme Whatiwant nejucomo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 02:24:30 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 6:08 AM, stig atle <stigatle at cryptolab.net> wrote:

> Hello everyone,

Welcome!

> I just wanted to introduce myself briefly,
> I'm 29, work as a engineer in the oil industry, mostly programming and
> 3d related.
> I do have a home page where I post about personal projects, feel free to
> take a look:
> http://stigatle.net/
>
> I do enjoy open source software and I came across Tahoe when I was
> looking into some
> good and secure storage that I could set up between the servers in my
> basement.
>
> Tahoe was easy to set up and worked very well.

Awesome.  Good to hear!

> I do however miss having a more 'friendly' software to manage files and
> so on, and as I understood there was none at this time? (there has been,
> but discontinued?).

Do you mean the web interface and the commandline client are unsufficiently
usable?  I primarily use the commandline and web interfaces.  I'm a happy
commandline dweller so I find that sufficient.

Have you tried any of the "fuse" approaches?  There are various
alternatives here.  In general they provide access to lafs files and
directories through your operating systems standard filesystem interface.
 This is friendly in that it works with any application.  On the other
hand, there are various usage patterns of native filesystems that don't
work well with lafs because of expectations about latency and various
networking edge cases.

Have you tried the sftp frontend?  You can use a variety of ftp clients to
interact with lafs files this way.

A starting point for these alternatives is here:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/trunk/docs/running.rst

Oh, and one other important interface is the "backup" commandline feature
which is specific for time-machine-like snapshots.  (It's only a tool for
creating the snapshots, browsing them is still through some other
interface.)

> I do use freenet a lot, so I felt at home quickly when it comes to the
> way the files are represented, and I did write software that interacted
> with freenet using it's API.
>
> this made me think that I could maybe write a cross-platform software
> that interacts with tahoe.
> I do not promise anything at this time, but It's something that I'd like
> to try to do, both for my own needs and for others who would like to use
> it.

The web api for lafs is fairly straight-forward as a programmatic
interface, especially if you are familiar with S3 or other restful storage
APIs:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/trunk/docs/frontends/webapi.rst

 If I decide to write it - then it would be either in python or QT
> creator, if I decide to use python then I'd like to use PyQT (I have
> used QTcreator a lot in my free time and on work related projects), I
> have also used python a lot,but not together with pyQT.

I'm personally interested in browser interfaces as extensions or
replacements to the standard web interface, because they can be stored and
served from lafs storage itself.  Don't let me stop you from a QT client,
though, if that's your preferred interface!

It's useful to do a github search for "tahoe-lafs":

https://github.com/search?q=tahoe-lafs&ref=cmdform

One item you might find interesting is this desktop indicator:

https://github.com/rubiojr/tahoe-lafs-indicator

I haven't used it, but if you were making a full blown desktop GUI client,
it might benefit from being an extension of an existing desktop indicator,
or both could benefit if they interoperate with each other.

> Either way - if there's any suggestions or wishes etc, then just let me
> know, I have not started on anything yet, but I think I'll do so soon.

I always thought a nice interface would be like the dropbox video I saw
ages ago (like 3 or so years) where there's a normal looking windows file
browsing interface except each file/directory icon is augmented with
transfer information right in band.  From what I gather dropbox poured a
lot of windows specific effort into that and they do things like using
undocumented APIs they reverse engineered, so I kind of wrote that off as
practical.

Also, I typically don't use gui fs interfaces.  Others here might and might
have better feedback.

> Have a nice day everyone.

Nathan