[tahoe-dev] Is TGPPL compatible with Apache license?

Daira Hopwood (formerly David-Sarah) davidsarah at leastauthority.com
Sat May 11 19:09:51 UTC 2013

On 11/05/13 15:51, Zhou, Yuan wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I’m trying to add erasure coding feature for an Apache licensed program: Swift(
> https://launchpad.net/swift ). Zfec seems like to be the best choice.
>
> And I found Zfec is using dual licenses: GPL and TGPPL. Sadly GPL is not compatible with
> Apache License, while TGPPL seems to be compatible with Apache license.

Hmm, zfec does *not* appear to have the "added permissions" that Tahoe-LAFS has in
COPYING.GPL and COPYING.TGPPL.rst, in particular:

  This work also comes with the added permission that you may combine it with a
  work licensed under the Apache Licence (any version) and distribute the
  resulting combined work, as long as you follow the requirements of the
  licences of this work in regard to all of the resulting combined work
  aside from the work licensed under the Apache Licence.

It probably should.

--
Daira Hopwood ⚥  (formerly David-Sarah)